Author: DECOTEAU DennisLanguage: Anglais
Approximative price 97.13 €
Subject to availability at the publisher.Add to cart the livre of DECOTEAU Dennis
464 p. · 25.4x20.3 cm · Hardback
For undergraduate-level courses in Vegetable Crops and Food Crops.
Highlighting important concepts in a condensed but informative manner, this practical, up-to-date, and user-friendly text provides a broad overview of the history, principles and practices of growing vegetable crops. Although focusing on commercial production, much of the material is applicable for home use, with many facts, tips and guidelines ideal for backyard and weekend gardeners.
I. OVERVIEW OF VEGETABLE CROPS.
1. History of Vegetable Crops.
2. Understanding the Vegetable Industry.
3. Classifying Vegetable Crops.
4. How Environmental Factors Affect Vegetable Production.
II. COMMON PRACTICES USED TO GROW VEGETABLES.
5. Plant Selection Considerations.
6. Preparing the Field.
7. Planting the Field.
8. The Need for Water and Irrigation.
9. Extending the Growing Season.
10. Dealing with Growing Problems.
12. Handling the Crops after Harvest.
13. Marketing the Crop and Delivering It to the Buyer.
14. Uses of Vegetables.
15. Nutritional Value of Vegetables.
III. SPECIFIC VEGETABLE CROP CHARACTERISTICS AND GROWING PRACTICES.
16. Cole Crops.
18. Leafy Salad Crops.
19. Perennial Crops.
20. Root Crops.
21. Bulb Crops.
22. Legumes or Pulse Crops.
23. Sweet Corn.
24. Solanum Crops.
- General Overview - Explains the history of vegetable crops and Americas vegetable industry in easy-to-understand terms, and includes discussions on classifying vegetables, and how environmental factors affect crop growth.
- Common Practices - Considers general practices used in vegetable crop production, with discussions on preparing the field, choosing cultivars, planting, watering, extending the growing season, handling pests, harvesting, and marketing, plus highlights the uses of vegetables and nutritional benefits of eating vegetables.
- Botanical and Production Information - Examines different branches and processing aspects of specific vegetable crops, and organizes discussions according to characteristics of family grouping and crop use.
These books may interest you
The Allium Genomes 178.07 €